Saturday 1 December 2012

Photography 1: P & P, Proj 23: Selective Processing & Prominence

Project 23: Selective processing and prominence

In this project I took an image that I had used in project 19.  The image is of a small figure in a red coat set against dramatic sea cliffs.  The figure is just visible in the photograph.

In this project I processed the original image into two new images.  In the first image I sought to make the figure lest prominent so that it recedes into the setting.  In the second the objective was to do the opposite and make the figure stand out more.

The original image and the two new versions are shown below:

Original image.

Figure less prominent.
In order to make the figure less prominent in this image, I selected the red parts and the face of the figure and desaturated them.  The lack of colour in these parts of the figure has resulted in it receding into the setting.
Figure more prominent.
In order to make the figure stand out more in this image, I selected everything except for the figure.  I then desaturate the selected area.  This left the figure as the only coloured part of the photograph.  This technique is a form of "colour popping", which is sometimes used to create impact in a photograph, (although to be really effective the coloured area would need to be alot larger in relationship to the setting).

No comments:

Post a Comment