Friday 28 January 2011

Photography 1: The Art of Photography

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize - National Portrait Gallery, London

I visited the Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize exhibition recently and the National Portrait Gallery in London.  The standard of the entries was very high.  I have included in this blog the three photos that I found the most inspiring.
"Huntress" by David Chancellor
This picture is of a 14 year old American girl on her first hunt in Africa.  The photographer says about the picture: "Contrast between the peace and tranquillity of the location, plus Josie's ethereal beauty and the dead buck, was what I wanted to explore.  Here was a vulnerability and yet also strength".  I particularly liked the quality of the light and the stillness of the model.

"Merel" by Clare Shilland
This photograph was shot near to the model's home in Antwerp by Clare Shilland for an exhibition titled Girls! Girls! Girls!  I liked that the models hair tones with grass in the background and that there are no clothes to distract the viewer.

"Wafa" by Felix Carpio
This photograph is a portrait of a young girl in Beirut.  I found the colours of the image and the apparent confidence of the model appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment