Tuesday 5 October 2010

Photography 1: The Art of Photography

Project: Focal Lengths.
Exercise: Focal Lengths.

 For this exercise I chose a view which was open and had some details in the distance and in the middle of the view.  I placed the camera on a tripod and kept it in the same position for all of the photographs.  Starting with the longest focal length on my zoom lens I took a series of six photographs, changing the focal length each time.  The images below show the effect of the changing focal length on the amount that is included in the scene and the relative size of each element of the scene.

7167 Focal Length 157mm

7168 Focal Length 105mm

7169 Focal Length 78mm

7170 Focal Length 52mm

7171 Focal Length 36mm

7172 Focal Length 27mm
What have I learned from this exercise ?

The focal length of a lens determines the angle of view.  The angle of view has an important effect on the character of an image.

No comments:

Post a Comment